Traffic Information

Hit & Run Procedure

If your vehicle was damaged due to a collision (even minor) with another vehicle and you did not obtain the other driver’s name, phone number and/or driver’s licence information, you can report the incident to your local police agency, or the agency where the incident occurred. The incident must also be reported to Manitoba Public Insurance.

To report a Hit & Run to the Winkler Police Service, you must attend our office between 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, with your driver’s licence and vehicle registration. Staff will assist you in completing a traffic accident report and provide you with an occurrence number, which will be required when you attend your appointment with MPI. To make an appointment with MPI call 1-800-665-2410.

Also, advise police of anyone who witnessed the Hit & Run and may be able to provide further information regarding the other vehicle/driver.

Pay Traffic Tickets

You may dispute the charge and request a hearing. Disputing the charge means that you do not admit the offence you were charged with. To dispute the charge, you may go to a Provincial Court office during the response period, or go to and follow the instructions provided. If a hearing is set, you will be provided with notice of court date, time and location.

If you do not respond on or before the final response date you will be deemed to have admitted the offence.

You may admit the offence but seek a reduction in the fine or time to pay. To do this, you may go to a Provincial Court office during the response period if you admit the offence but want to appear before a justice to explain why your fine should be reduced or why you need more time to pay.

Parking tickets issued in the City of Winkler can be paid at the City of Winkler Civic Centre located at 185 Main Street during regular office hours. The Winkler Police Service does not process payment of parking tickets.

The penalty amount is $80.00, which is discounted to $40.00 if paid within 14 days after delivery of notice.

Traffic Accident

If someone involved in the collision is injured, there is smoke or fire coming from a vehicle or there is imminent danger, please call 9-1-1 immediately. For less serious collisions where vehicles are not operable, please call the Winkler Police Service at 204-325-0829 during office hours or 204-325-9990 after hours and wait for an officer to attend. Officers can assist you with having a tow truck attend the scene to tow your vehicle and exchange information with all involved parties.

Only collisions involving the following require a police report:

  • Fatality
  • Serious injury (Meaning someone was admitted to the hospital)
  • Unlicensed driver or unregistered vehicle
  • Hit & Run
  • Failure to obtain particulars from other party
  • Suspected use of drugs or alcohol by other driver

MPI will inform those reporting claims if they are required to report to the police.

Your traffic accident report must be made in person at our office during regular office hours. Please bring with your driver’s licence and vehicle registration, as the report cannot be completed without these documents.

There is no requirement for police involvement if there are no injuries, all vehicles involved are operable, information has been properly exchanged, and there is no suspicion that any involved drivers are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.

Traffic Laws

The speed limit when passing through a marked school zone in the City of Winkler is 30 km/hr during the hours of 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, September through June.

According to the Highway Traffic Act, no driver shall overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right,
(a) when the movement cannot be made with reasonable safety; or
(b) by driving off the roadway.

According to the Highway Traffic Act, no motor vehicle shall be equipped with window tinting to the immediate right or left of the driver’s seat that:
(a) reduces light transmission to less than 50%; or
(b) increases light reflection to more than 35%.

In Manitoba, it is law that cyclists under 18 years of age wear a properly fitted and fastened helmet. Failure to do so may result in a fine or ticket.

For information regarding the rules and guidelines regarding motorized mobility aids, please visit:

Mobility Aid Safety

For information regarding moped and motorcycle safety, and motorcycle and moped body styles, please visit:

Moped & Motorcycle Safety

Motorcycle & Moped Body Styles

For information regarding cycling, sharing the road with bicycles, and vehicle-bicycle collisions, please visit:

Cycling 101

Cycling and Sharing the Road

Vehicle-Bicycle Collisions

According to the City of Winkler By-Law 2032-11, all snowmobiles and “off road” vehicles including, but not limited to, dirt bikes, quads, three wheelers, and unlicensed motor bikes are herewith prohibited from operating on all streets, ditches, boulevards, public parks, playgrounds and golf courses within the City of Winkler, whether posted or not posted, EXCEPT THAT snowmobiles shall be permitted travel within City of limits according to By-Law 1800-04 with a properly licensed driver.

For information regarding which car/booster seat your child is required to use based on their age, height and/or weight, please visit the following websites:

Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial