As of November 1st, if you are caught using any hand-operated electronic device while driving, you will:
• Receive a roadside driver’s licence suspension for three days for the first time being caught, and a seven day suspension for all subsequent occurrences within a ten year time frame.
• Be required to surrender your licence to an officer. A temporary driving permit will be issued at roadside to drivers holding a valid licence, which enables the suspended driver to drive lawfully and safely to another location. The temporary driving permit delays the start of the suspension until the end of the following day.
• Receive a ticket carrying a $672.00 fine.
• Receive 5 demerits for careless driving.
• Be charged a $50.00 licence reinstatement fee for drivers subject to the new licence suspension.